Join us for full benefits and know that ‘You’ll never search alone’ with your Liverpool and South West Lancashire Family History Society.

Police records

By JennyL |

The 1921 Census gave my great uncle's occupation as 'police constable'. His place of work was recorded as St. Helens.

The archive for Lancashire Police officer records up to 1925 is searchable online, however, his name doesn't come up. I've also searched the BNA hoping to shed some light - arrests made, etc, but been unsuccessful. My gut feeling is that I'm barking up the wrong tree here.

Could he have been a special - and do records survive for Lancs? My other thought is that he could have been a military policeman but that seems less likely, given the place of work. (My dad was a military policeman at a POW camp after WW2).

Any thoughts welcomed, as I've been going around in circles for months on this. It has the potential to knock down a brick wall of nearly twenty years standing.

Jenny,
I always think posting the name and details on this forum is more beneficial as many eyes can perhaps help.

Back in the early 2000's I needed to find out about an ancestor who spent many years in the early 1900's in the Liverpool City Police. Back then I got to speak on the phone to a full-time archivist(retired bobby) at the Liverpool "Bridewell". He could lay his hands on the old bobby's pension records straight away. Info contained his years of service, and the fact that his widow continued to receive his pension from when he died in 1941 til her death in 1954.
So its worth a try contacting the Lancashire and/or the Liverpool Police Pensions Dept. or Archives Dept.
Regards, Simo