Join us for full benefits and know that ‘You’ll never search alone’ with your Liverpool and South West Lancashire Family History Society.

Edward Langridge

By adesso |

I have posted about Liverpool ancestors with great success in the past with the help of Bert and Mary. This is about Kent but I still hope you can help.

My 4x great grandad was Edward Langridge born circa 1791 in Kent I believe. (Possibly Pembury) He married a Sarah Dickenson on 27th November 1824 in St Mary’s Newington Surrey( I believe it’s Southwark area) On the 1841 census he is a yeast vendor living in Pembury. His son Thomas is my 3 x great grandad born in Pembury circa 1833.
Thomas Langridge seems to have married another Dickenson…. Elizabeth Dickenson whose parents Daniel Dickenson and Harriet Kennard were also married in St Mary Newington.
Now Thomas’ sister Sarah Ann Langridge states her place of birth on census entries as Pembury but there is a record of her birth at Saint Saviours Southwark with father Edward Langridge a yeast vendor. This is in the Newington area as well.
As I understand, the Langridges and Dickensons are Kent families so what is this connection to Newington/ Southwark?
Thomas married Elizabeth Dickenson… the same surname as his mother. Did he marry a cousin?
The GRO entry for the birth of my 2x great grandad William Ernest Langridge confirms his mother was Dickenson. 1865 Tunbridge.Parents Thomas and Elizabeth Langridge.
I’m head scratching … why Newington/ Southwark and did Thomas marry a cousin?
Any help most appreciated
David
From Hampshire

A contact in Kent tells me that Edward had a will and talks about a pub or business in Southwark… ‘Catherine Wheel Inn Southwark’… perhaps that’s the connection as he was a yeast vendor???

Edward seems to have been in partnership with a Henry Gander, a yeast merchant in the Catherine Wheel Inn Yard in Southwark. What’s interesting is a John Dickenson is listed as a former innholder in 1791. The name Dickenson turns up again. Could John be the father of Sarah Dickenson the wife of Edward?
I’m still curious as to Thomas Langridge’s wife Elizabeth Dickenson and whether they were cousins. Any help is appreciated.

Hi sorry for the delay in coming back to you, you don't mention if you know Edward's death date?  I think it would help to pin things down if you found it and actually obtained the Will yourself, these often contain a lot more information than expected, sometimes mentioning relationships between people.

Wills nowadays are extremely cheap, purchase from the GRO at only £1.50 but to save searching year on year, narrow down the date first.

Have you also tried a local family history forum? there is an excellent one for London, Westminster and Middlesex where people might be more knowledgeable about local history, places and events.

Will continue to look and see if I have any more thoughts.

Hello
Edward Langridge died in Pembury Kent in 1842. Yes I have read the will.
I wanted to find Sarah his wife’s parents. She was born around 1806 in Kent I think. The link to Southwark I think I have figured out. But how it came to be that Thomas their son married another Dickenson (Elizabeth) is a mystery unless they were cousins. I have feeling that the Dickensons may have taken over the pub in Southwark in 1791 and some of the family moved there. John Dickenson is the innholder in 1791.
Am on to some local history groups there but no breakthrough on the cousin issue.
Elizabeth’s parents seem to have been born in Kent but married in St Mary Newington Southwark like Edward and Sarah.
Thanks for your help. Let me know if you find something,
Regards
David

By the way.
On the marriage record for Daniel Dickenson and Harriet Kennard (parents of Elizabeth Dickenson) Henry Gander is listed as a witness in St Mary Newington Southwark. 17th July 1834. Henry being the yeast merchant and innholder of the Catherine Wheel Inn pub in Borough High St Southwark and business partner to Edward Langridge.

Daniel Dickenson,Harriet his wife and daughter Elizabeth on 1841 census living in Pembury.
I wonder if Daniel is the brother of Sarah Dickenson the wife of Edward? And that Thomas Langridge and Elizabeth when married were cousins?
Perhaps the Dickenson and Langridge families moved to Southwark for a while as their business related to that Catherine Wheel Inn on Borough High Street and that’s why Edward and Sarah, Daniel and Harriet married in St George’s Newington Southwark? Possibly why Sarah Ann Langridge (daughter of Edward) was baptised in St Saviours in Southwark.( Born 2nd August 1830.)