Join us for full benefits and know that ‘You’ll never search alone’ with your Liverpool and South West Lancashire Family History Society.

Royal Navy records

By John O |

Hi all,

I have found a member of the Orrett family who was on a HM Cutter called 'Goodwill' in the mid 1700s, which sailed out of Liverpool. Familysearch has birth records from Waterford for a couple of children with the father, John Orrett being a surgeon on said ship. Does anyone know where I could look up this ship's records? The National Archives have a few articles, unfortunately not able to download.

I'm interested as some Orretts born in Waterford turned up in Jamaica, and I'm wondering if the Goodwill stopped there on her travels.

Many thanks as always.

John

I believe Findmypast would be the place to check, but not sure if that is only for Merchant Navy, worth a try in the library though.

There are definitely records in the National Arhives, however, as you say not available to download, but some say "not on site", I wonder if they cuold be asked where they are held, maybe not much help as likely just as far away, but just a thought.