Join us for full benefits and know that ‘You’ll never search alone’ with your Liverpool and South West Lancashire Family History Society.

Anthony Fox - Liverpool St Mary Burial

By AlanFord |

Hello,

I am trying to work out if Anthony Fox, buried Liverpool St Mary, 16 Apr 1818, is the Anthony Fox I am looking for (a sea captain born Ringmore, Devon, around 1790).

This is the record on Ancestry: https://www.ancestry.co.uk/discoveryui-content/view/2568171:2198

I wondered if anyone had any other resources around Liverpool burials which could maybe help me here by adding any information beyond that which is recorded in this burial record?

(This Anthony Fox was, as far as I can tell, killed in a bar brawl by a man called Richard Penryn - there are various newspaper cuttings of the time that record the trial. But what I'm trying to work out is whether this is "my" Anthony Fox, i.e. the captain from Devon).

Thanks in advance!

Hi and welcome to the forum.  There will be few resources available at that date, being before Civil Registration began, so no clues from who registered the death.

The only suggestion I can make is to check with Findmypast as to whether there may have been a Workhouse entry for this man, St Mary's would be a common burial ground for inmates.

Thank you for the suggestion, no leads there unfortunately.

Where was the Parish of St Mary's? Does the church/graveyard still exist? I've been struggling to find an old parish map or similar. The location may help to give some clues (e.g. if significantly inland he's unlikely to be a mariner).