You are here

Wirral business directory 1937

19 posts / 0 new
Last post
John O
Wirral business directory 1937

Hi all, I am revisiting my wife's great grandfather Clifford Walter Smith.

On his son's marriage certificate in 1937 he is shown as a 'Company Director, Funeral furnishings'. On the 1939 Register, living with his son in Wales he is 'coachman or groom' and I think that was still funeral related. I have had a Google but are there any trade directories for Wirral for that time period as I am sure that it was Eastham or nearby? 

I have him in the 1911 census in Tyne Street Liverpool, 1920 Liverpool Electoral register in Candia Street Liverpool, but then no trace until 1937/39. In the 1920 return he is shown living with Alice Maud Smith (supposedly his wife although he never married, and he had 3 children all by different women) and John Southern, who she may have ran off to Australia with!

Many thanks, John 

bertieone

Déjà vu

If you want me I'm hiding behind the couch.

Bert

bertieone

John,

Eastham and Bromborough are in the 1938 Liverpool, etc directory, if memory serves, that's where we found Clifford George Smith, however, wrong person, wasn't it?

Wirral Archives or Birkenhead Library should hold some Wirral Directories, if they are open.

Bert

MaryA
MaryA's picture

I may be duplicating what has previously been found but the 1938 Kellys lists the following Clifford Smiths

Smith

Clifford, 13 Salisbury Ter L3

Clifford, foreman engineer, 17 Lingfield Grove, Broadgreen

Clifford Geo, undertaker, 13 Bridle Road, Eastham, Wirral.

MaryA

Member 6532

John O

Sorry if I caused a few grey hairs there both blush. Bert, hope you have recovered from the shock smiley. I keep forgetting what I have asked for before, I should revisit the old forums. Although I have Clifford Walter Smith in the tree, that is family memory. He may have been Clifford George in which case the Eastham undertaker would fit. At the marriage of his daughter in 1935 he is an undertaker's agent.

Would the directory give the name of the undertaker? I tried looking on the Companies House website as I hoped if he was a Director I may have found some additional information about him but no joy so far. I have his death cert and location etc., missing the years before.

Thanks both for the comments, very much appreciated as always.

Names - Orrett, Orritt, Ross, McCabe, Keeley, Bullen, White, Leatham, McKeon, Bilsbarrow, Yates, Sennett, Sinnett, Traynor, Ashton

MaryA
MaryA's picture

Sorry no the companies are in alphabetical order, as are the surnames coming later, so not easy to find anything unless you have the name.

I spoke too soon and found the headings for companies, however none at Bridle Road, Eastham, so I'm suspecting that was his home address and Undertaker was his occupation rather than the company address.

MaryA

Member 6532

John O

Thanks Mary, looking at Google maps, 13 Bridle Road is a residential property.

Names - Orrett, Orritt, Ross, McCabe, Keeley, Bullen, White, Leatham, McKeon, Bilsbarrow, Yates, Sennett, Sinnett, Traynor, Ashton

ShaunJ

I'm sure we've been round this before but in a court hearing in 1939, it was stated that Clifford George Smith had worked in his mother's funeral director business which operated as "Alex C Smith" in Conway Street, Birkenhead. 

https://search.findmypast.co.uk/bna/viewarticle?id=bl%2f0000771%2f193902...

Image: 
bertieone

Shaun,

The link will not open to non subscribers.

There has been mention before, old forum thread "Smith Family Confusion" put in search box.

John, 

is it Clifford George or Clifford Walter we seek?

Bert

bertieone

Referring to the newspaper report, if the same Clifford George Smith and very likely is, he is the son of Alexander C Smith and Hilda Mary Parker, married, Chester, 1912,  Clifford George born 1914, Birkenhead.

Bert

ShaunJ

Alexander and Hilda had several sons. One, Alexander Edward, died of wounds in Tunisia in 1943 shortly after meeting up with his brother Ronald. There are reports and a photo in the papers:

https://search.findmypast.co.uk/bna/viewarticle?id=bl%2f0000771%2f194305...

https://search.findmypast.co.uk/bna/viewarticle?id=bl%2f0000271%2f194305...

bertieone

Clifford George Smith can be dismissed, he wasn't on the 1911 census, not born and therefore couldn't be the father of the children or associated with Alice Maud.

Clifford Walter Smith, other than family memory, where is he recorded under that name?

Bert

John O

Thanks to Bert and Shaun for your efforts. I do not think that this is the correct person unfortunately. I have my wife's grandfather on the 1911 census. He was George Clifford Smith born in June 1907 in  Liverpool. His father is shown on both census and birth cert as Clifford Smith, born in 1873 in Birmingham Warwickshire. 1911 has Clifford Smith shown as a dock labourer living in Tyne Street Liverpool.

George Clifford Smith was apparently given his middle name after his father Clifford Smith, which makes sense. Clifford Smith also had a son Walter William Smith, and family say he was named after his father's middle name. 

To answer your question Bert, we are not entirely sure if he was Clifford Walter Smith or Clifford George Smith. All 3 of his children's birth certs have him as Clifford Smith. Occupation was general labourer on one and dock labourer on the other 2. He was a man despised by his family and died alone in Westminster Homes in 1951 and buried in a public grave in Anfield cemetery. As mentioned previously, all three children have different mothers. The 1911 census has him being marroed to Alice Maud for 5 years, but I cannot find a marriage certificate for this or any of his other two 'wives' although a 1920 Liverpool Electoral roll has him as living in Candia Street with Alice Maud. In the 1939 register he is widowed.

1911 has a Nellie Parry or Perry as sister in law, and one of the 3 children has a mother of Alice Maud Parry. Both Alice Maud and her sister Nellie were born in Polar, London. One of my wife's elderly relatives says that Nellie Perry ended up running a Post office in Parkgate in Wirral, but I have not been able to find any records for that either. The first reference to funeral director was in his son's marriage in 1937 then being shown as a groom or coachman in the 1939 register.

Rather frsutrating, also not helped by a family memory that he didn't like his name so changed it. We do not know if it was the Clifford, Walter or George that was changed, but as you can imagine it does not help research. It could possibly be his father was Thomas Prickett Clifford Smith and it may have been the Prickett name that he did not like. Thomas Prickett Clifford Smith was married to Clara Amelia Reeves, and they had a son Clifford Walter Smith in 1871 Birmingham, close to the date on the 1911 census.He apparently fought in the Boer war and was drummed out of either that or the Great war for disobedience and violence.

Both my wife and her aunt have done DNA tests but we have been unable to verify any matches, despite linking to some people with Smiths in their family. The only living male Smith direct descendent lives in New Zealand and has refused to do a DNA test. His father George Clifford Smith is the son of George Clifford Smith, my wife's grandfather. He also refused a DNA test due to as he says 'skeletons in the closet' and passed away in 1919.

Apologies  for the rambling and thanks again for the help, sorry to have driven you to distraction but it is proving a hard nut to crack working backwards from 1911, I have no verified records before that. 

bertieone

John,

If it helps for further down the line, the Clifford Walter Smith born to Thomas Smith and  Clara Amelia Reeves in 1869, died in 1870.

Given address at burial was, Beaudesert? 30 May, 1870. The GRO has that death Stratford on Avon, aged 11, a mistake, it should be Aged 1.

He is not with the family in 1871 or after, proof the family was in that place in 1870 is the birth of their daughter Anne, born 1870, the 1881 census has Anne aged 10, born, Beaudesert?

Bert

John O

Hi Bert, thanks for that. I did remember looking at that record a few years ago, and had discussions with other Ancestry tree members. Not sure if you remember but the 1939 register was a bit ambiguous, giving a DOB of 9.1.1871, but there is another number 77 by it. Unfortunately the code above is hard to read. Maybe the 1921 census next year will give some more clues on this mystery man! 

bertieone

Yes John,

hopefully the 1921 will be kind to you.

What is known about Walter William, sorry if the info is on the old forum, gremlins have struck again.

Bert

MaryA
MaryA's picture

There are a number of posts on the old forum.

Company Director Records https://www.lswlfhs.org.uk/phpBB3/viewtopic.php?f=2&t=16571

Missing Mother on Birth Certificate https://www.lswlfhs.org.uk/phpBB3/viewtopic.php?f=22&t=16080

Tracing Disgraced Soldier https://www.lswlfhs.org.uk/phpBB3/viewtopic.php?f=30&t=16084

Smith Family Confusion https://www.lswlfhs.org.uk/phpBB3/viewtopic.php?f=2&t=15569

Westminster House Death Records https://www.lswlfhs.org.uk/phpBB3/viewtopic.php?f=2&t=15717

MaryA

Member 6532

bertieone

Thanks Mary,

It was this I thought I remembered

Image: 

Bert

John O

Hi Bert, yes that is his son. Born in Tyne Street where they were in the 1911 census. I have Walter's marriage certificate to Eleanor Parry Jones in 1937 in Liverpool. Definately the right family as my wife's grandparents lived in the house in Arlescourt Road for many years as on the certificate. Walter is in Llandudno in 1939 with Eleanor, one child, record hidden and his father, the elusive Clifford Smith. I think they divorced as Eleanor subsequently married again in 1951 and a family remembers Walter going to live in Nottingham. They had 2 children, a boy and a girl. Clifford Iorwerth Smith was born in Conwy 1938, mother Parry Jones. No idea on the daughter but she can wait!  I haven't chased a death record for Walter yet but a couple of hints on Ancestry may be fruitful. 

Mary, thanks for posting the old forum links. 

Interesting that on the death certificate of Clifford Smith on 20th July 1951, his occupation was shown as dock labourer again and nothing to do with funerals. It is the correct person as my wife's grandfather George Clifford Smith was the informant.