You are here

Sarah Bate birth and baptism (my great grandmother)

14 posts / 0 new
Last post
Fazak8474
Sarah Bate birth and baptism (my great grandmother)

Sarah married Richard Wilcock on 3 Feb 1878 at age 18yrs at Golborne St Thomas. Her father was John Bate an Innkeeper. Census in Golborne after marriage indicates birth in 1858 in Golborne. In1891 she has brother John livng with family he is 28yr and a brickmaker. There is a near complete list of baps on lan-opc.org.uk at Golborne church with John Bate and Mary Ann as parents, this gives Sarah's birth as 4 Mar 1859 and John's birth as 14 Sep 1862. Father's occupation is brickmaker. My problem is there are a lot of Bates around at that time and John /Sarah are very common names so I cannot be sure this is the correct family. I have found this family on Census 1861/1871. 

There is another family on 1871 and 1881 Census with father John Bate, children Sarah and John but in 1881 this Sarah is still with birth family age 19yr and cotton weaver. So I think this family is unlikely as my Sarah is married in 1878 and brother John is too young. 

On freebmd there are three Sarah Bate births: Mar 1859, Dec 1861 which I think are the two above families. Then there is Dec 1860 Sarah Ellen Bate registered in Leigh 8c 179. I cannot find this child on any bap record or Census. I cannot find burial either. Could some one help me with this please? If I can find this Sarah and she doesn't have father and brother called John then she is not my Sarah.

Also I have tried to search Census for John Bate, Sarah's father after Sarah's marriage in 1878 because if I can find this Bate family after 1878 without Sarah then this strengthens my idea that the first Sarah is the correct one. Can anyone find John Bate on Census after 1878 please?

Thank you for any help. 

webby
webby's picture

Your John Bate, brickmaker is on the 1881 census with wife Elizabeth so unlikely to be your innkeeper (see below for reference), Try checking out the GRO website for births for Sarah, which will give the mother's surname and try searching for those marriages and families. (It's a bit messy searching the GRO site but well worth it in the end) you need shedloads of patience.

RG11 3801 66 62 

Shelagh_B

Fazak8474

Thank you, I will have a look at GRO website. This isn't the same as freebmd?

Susan Page

MaryA
MaryA's picture

Prior to 1912 the mother's maiden name isn't given on FreeBMD so the beauty of the GRO website is that it is, right from the beginning in 1837.

MaryA

Member 6532

bertieone

1881 census,

39 Bank St

RG11 P3801 F66 P62,

NameAgeJohn Bate49Elizabeth Bate46John Bate18Mary John Bate14James Bate12Issac Bate10.

If you find the probate for John Bate, 1887, Bank St, Beerseller, Brickmakers Arms.

This would match the occupation on Sarah' marriage cert.

Bert

Fazak8474

Thanks this sounds really promising! It has really defeated me and I have spent ages trying to decide which John Bate is mine. Thank you for all your help. Susan

Susan Page

bertieone

I would look for Mary Ann being deceased and John remarrying or taking a partner.

Bert

bertieone

Possible Death,

Name:Mary Ann BateBirth Year:abt 1832Death Age:39Burial Date:6 May 1871Burial Parish:Golborne, Lancashire, England

Bert

bertieone

Marriage,

Image: 

Bert

bertieone

Isaac's birth,

Image: 

Bert

bertieone

Marriage to Mary Ann

Image: 

Bert

bertieone

Sarah's birth reg, GRO

Image: 

Bert

bertieone

Baptism

Image: 

Bert

Fazak8474

Thanks a lot. I feel sure now this is the correct Sarah Bate. I wasn't unaware of this GRO website until now. I have looked at freebmd. This conundrum has defeated me for years! Thanks for all your help. Susan

Susan Page